Thursday, August 11, 2011

Why I Talk About Money

Money is something preps don't talk about.  Just consult your Preppy Handbook or True Prep.  While I seem to be breaking this code with my blog, I can't help but notice the rampant materialism I notice in everyday life and I am striving to not let it overcome me.
I love seeing money in my bank account, not in the high price designer items I can buy that can wear out or go out of style.  Remember though: quality and longevity are everything. 

With that being said, here are my preppy rules for money:

1. Don't talk about it.  No one wants to listen to you brag.

2. If you have a working one, you don't need a replacement.  This goes for tote bags, appliances, most cars and even some items of clothing.  (Will anyone know the difference between your five pink cardigans? No one but you.)
3. Don't try to justify it. Say, "I want it", and buy it, but don't do it for every item.
4. Don't buy a ton of one item in every color all at once just because it is quality.  Buy them over time and they will wear out overtime.  Or, for that matter, loose your interest over time. 
5. Save save save! Better to buy a bigger boat instead of a new sweater every time the whim strikes. 
6. Don't be stingy.  Just because you don't throw money around does NOT mean you can act like a Scrooge.  Buy for fundraisers, give nice gifts, and buy better booze (if you already don't) when you have people over. 
7. Don't waste your money on consumables from fancy stores. In other words, learn to brew your own coffee.
8. You must own a cute preppy wallet to house your money. :)


Lilly Pulitzer



Just Madras

A cute cheapie

Or, make your own!! Try out your sewing skills and get some Lilly Pulitzer fabric a  cute clasp or zipper and go to it!  A wallet is basic enough to try sewing on your own even without a pattern.

mSa

No comments:

Post a Comment